Monday, April 9, 2007

Goa Revisited

I visited my friend Louella and her family for Easter, here is an account of my stay there.

The Natural swimming pool (Hollant beach)

The visit to this beach was pending since my last visit(May last year), I didn’t know swimming last time but now I know. We have come at an ideal time for swimming, the sun has set and there are no waves at all only a semblance of them at times.

We swim from one spot to other & then back, it’s tiring and exhilarating at the same time. We float letting the water carry us wherever it wants. As I float I look at the sky and it feels as if I am floating on the clouds….

Louella tells me about her numerous visits to this beach; the sea is an inseparable part of life in Goa. I wish Bangalore was on the seashore, and then I realize that rather than wishing something impossible I should wish that settle down near the sea, which is very much possible.

Easter

I was seeing so many cakes at one place for the first time. (Outside a cake shop I mean!) No wonder Louella and her bro have sweet teeth! Aunty has herself baked many cakes; on top of that louella had bought a chocolate cake. We settle down to have breakfast and everyone is full just by helping themselve to the cakes, which are just yummy!

I feel nice to see the family so happy, it feels nice to be a part of their light-hearted banter. I understand that one purpose of festivals is also this, bringing people together. And these days when most of the families are segregated, togetherness is a reason enough to celebrate.

A walk down the beach

The sun-rays hit me as I walk to the beach, the sea, exuberant as usual, meets me like an old friend, both of us have changed since we last met but we treat each other in the same old way. As I enter the water I no longer feel the sun, it’s as if the sea doesn’t want my experience to be adulterated by mundane stuff.

I loiter around as I wait for one wave after another (I feel nice to have my life reduced to such simplicity). I feel the waves gently nudging me, hitting with me force, and pushing me in sand as they recede…

I am oblivious to the time I’ve been on the beach…the only indicator is the sun which has moved from position x to x+y. I realize that this is the first time in my life that I’ve been on a beach all by myself, and enjoyed it immensely. As I walk back, I promise myself more walks like this.

No comments: