Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A corny story

This post is dedicated to something that has given me immense pleasure all these years, the corn or the bhutta, as it is called lovingly. The story started in my first year of college, as the first rains indicated the onset of monsoons, we were treated to an unusual sight. Hordes of bhuttawalas were filed neatly on the road overlooking our college cricket ground. Evidently they occupied the same very place every year and found patrons from all around Nagpur, not to mention the NIT crowd. The once peaceful roadside very soon became the center of frenzied activity as the bhuttawalas vied for the attention of the passers by.

When I had my first roasted bhutta from there I was hooked, it was not like I hadn’t eaten roasted bhutta before but it had never tasted like this. From then, a visit to the bhuttawalas after college became a ritual of sorts for me. Anyone from my batch who wanted to have a bhutta found company in me.

What goes into making a mouth-watering bhutta? The process for me starts right from selecting the right bhutta; it should neither be very tender nor very tough. The tough ones (yellow kernels are a give away) give your teeth a tough time and the tender ones (cream kernels) leave you feeling unsatisfied. A right balance is needed, yin and yang as they say. When the very important task of selecting the right bhutta is done, it is put over burning coals; mind you, a bhutta roasted over gas can’t even come close to the yumminess of the ones roasted over coal.

The bhuttewale bhaiyya keeps the fire astir as he fans continuously; he also keeps turning the corn to roast it evenly from all sides, the sound of bursting kernels is music to my ears. After being roasted perfectly, he deftly applies lime and salt to it and then coats it with chilly chutney to make it all the more tempting. The best is yet to come though; he finally smears it with butter that melts at the very touch of the garam garam bhutta! Aah... nothing like it!! The butter dissolves the lime, salt and chutney, and it all seeps into the niches between the kernels producing a uniformly heavenly texture and taste. The bestest part is when I dig my teeth into it; I relish every kernel every bite of it. And every time I finish, I end up wanting even more.

All the years in my college I always waited for the rainy season, those two months when I could enjoy this delicacy. No other fad has sustained with me for so long and it’s still going strong. As I came to Bangalore to start working, I was elated at the sight of the bhuttawala in front of my office. Here you get corn all round the year, unlike Nagpur, but they don’t make it like they did there, still, I like it here too. I treat myself to a bhutta everyday as I walk back from my office in the evening, a repeat of the ritual I followed in the college.

In the age of fast food, the humble corn still wins hands-down for me; it is healthy, yummy and filling. For a person like me, who doesn’t like to fuss much over food, its just the thing. I hope the association continues, and I keep deriving pleasure from eating bhutta for years to come! :D

8 comments:

desh said...

mmmmmm...gulp...mmmmm....halfway thru th post i cud feel the saliva turbulating in my mouth...

muhh main paani aa gaya

neway if u a bhutta addict, n u in Bangalore then do visit th food street at VV Puram Circle Bangalore...u get a good enuff roasted bhutta thr n th number of thelas give u tht much needed flush of bhutta fragnence.

I loath th ppl who sell those Videsi Bhuttas all our the cities for as much as 40 bucks...ppl even buy n eat it.

Although boiled one is good, but nthng matches th roasted one. Neway ur post just ensured sale of one more bhutta in th city today :)

enginerd said...

Bhutta at Food Street is good. There's this place in Basavangudi too where I had "roasted" corn and am a fan ever since. The bhuttawala there also prepares some sort of bhutta-chaat.

Desh, lets make that sale figure 2. And ask Nitesh about this new bhutta place.

Smartalec said...

awesome awesome awesome!
that was some mouth-watering description! all of a sudden i'm craving for bhuttas... i already started praying for the monsoons to make an appearnace in pune so that i can hunt down the bhuttawalas and feast on the bhuttas!
great work, sur ;)!

p.s. i take back my words abt ur travelogue... it shud be a travelogue cum food journal:D

Sur said...

@desh
:D, that was my state even as i was writing the post!
ur description ensures a visit to the food street! ya, even i don't like corn much in any other form!

@enginerd
bhuttachaat sounds good man! will chk it out. looks like i am becoming a brand ambassdor for bhutta having already ensured 2 sales! :P

@SA
thanks buddy!:D monsoons have already arrived so u can feast on bhuttas soon! nothing like having bhutta while its raining!
u never stop over-estimating, do u?!

Gaurav said...

A big THAANK YOU !!!
You brought back my memories of the Bhutta @ college gate !!
Long sessions of talkin bout anything under the sun alongwith the bhutta ....kya din theey !!!!
The monsoon's here again and I'll miss the Nagpur ka bhutta yet again !!!
btw - u too an alumnus of VNIT Nagpur ?

Sur said...

@Gaurav
welcome! :)
same here, i too miss Nagpur ka bhutta! :(
yup me a VNITian, passed out last yr. What about u, which batch?

Shruti said...

Hi dear, just came here surfing..
What a conincidene, yesterday only i had Bhutta in evening and its delicious...
Very interesting read..

Take care...

Sur said...

@Shruti
Thanks! Keep reading! and u too, take care.