Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Guten Tag - 8 random facts/habits

So, I was tagged by Tanay to share 8 random facts/habits about myself. I have come up with some idiosyncrasies here. (Btw, idiosyncrasy is one of my favorite words.) I always marvel at how blogs allow you to peep into the life of a person whom you don’t even know. Have a peek into mine:

I pile up books: I love reading, but since past one year I have started buying books like never before. The heap of unread books in my room seems to increase by the day. I have resolved in vain to finish all the old books before buying new ones. But every time I see a good book, I am tempted and end up buying it, hoping to finish it sometime. My latest acquisitions being "The Divine Comedy- Hell" by Dante and "Journey to the center of the earth" by Jules Verne.

Chilli paneer, groundnuts and guavas (No, its not the latest novel I am reading.): Chilli paneer was a fad during the college days; people were actually fed up coz I used to order nothing else at eat-outs. (Still have it at times for ole’ times sake.) Guavas with namak aur mirch and boiled groundnuts, just love them; I go to Jayanagar at times just to have both of these. As far as bhutta is concerned its in a different league altogether.

I fast on Thursdays: The trend started when I was in 12th std. , there was this particular month called Margashisha, when we had to fast on Thursdays without the usual fast food (I mean permissible food during a fast.) and survive just on fruits. My sis and me actually used to long for fasts to eat (ya, it’s an oxymoron) coz fast food (usal, sabudana vada etc) is irresistible. But after fasting on fruits I liked the idea of having control over the tummy for a day and started fasting ever since. (Ya, I know, I am weird)

I can’t hear to a person properly without my specs or contacts: Now this is funny, haven’t come across anyone with the same quirk. But I donno, my auditory cognition abilities go for a toss if I cannot properly see the person speaking. One of the possible explanations that I have come up with, is that, maybe the lip-movements of the person talking contribute a lot to my cognition ability

I can watch any movie: For years we had no cable connection at home and I used to watch any movie that DD one showed, sometimes even regional movies. I have even watched movies in tele-serial format; our national channel does come up with unusual ideas.

I sleep like a cat: Probably because I was a cat in one of my births (ya, I do believe in rebirths.) I can squeeze and snuggle up anywhere and still manage to sleep soundly. My friends often marvel at this trait of mine, being thin does have its benefits, you see.

I believe in self-healing: I try to avoid going to doctors as much I can, barring the occasional visits for eye-checkup. I try to find ways to feel better when I am sick and more or less it always works for me.

I like train journeys: That I love to travel is obvious through my posts, but the mode of transport I love the most is the train, none other holds the same charm for me. The hustle-bustle, the hawkers, the chattering people, the vistas passing by; I never get bored in a train. And how soundly I sleep in a train; the chug chug is like a lullaby to me.

Gosh! I am done! The baton now passes to Debanshu and Steve the two people in my blogroll who are not already in the tag-loop. The rules are as follows folks:

1. Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged, write a blog post about their own 8 random things, and post these rules.
3. At the end of your post you need to tag 8 people and include their names. Don’t forget to leave them a comment and tell them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.
4. If you fail to do this within eight hours, you will not reach Third Series or attain your most precious goals for at least two more lifetimes


I have already broken the 3rd rule, but then, rules are made to be broken.

Happy tagging!
Guten tag!

9 comments:

remainconnected said...

Thanks for the timely post. Books glutton, cat sleep, upwaas , traveling in chuuk chuuk gaddi, all these and more make a short [you have short sightedness or long sightnessnes, my guess 2nd one, hehehe :)], smart individual that's Sur.

lip-movement and cognitive ability are entwined. going by this rule the bollywood isstar, Imran Hashmi is the smartest and the most intelligent chap in the filmi crowd. me-thinks so by application of your formula, ;)

Thanks for maintaining the tag loop.

Bon jour

yettofindaname said...

hey I too believe in self healing.. Try not to go to the doc as long as I can avoid it... looks like our wavelengths match :)

Sur said...

@RC
now, now Tanay, by lip-movement I meant somethng else! but should say interesting thought! ;)
and I have short sightedness, evrything abt me is short and sweet, u see!:)

@ni
wavelenghts match?! u r good half foot taller than me! ;)

desh said...

obviously my fav section
food and no-food
bhutta still remains ur top post sur :)

and abt fasting days th thngs are much bttr than regular thngs :D

train journeys r th best thng to happen to me maybe, the bestest time of an indian's life is spent in sleeper compartments in long journeys :)

Smartalec said...

great post!!
can so associate with most of ur quirks:p but the dysfunctional hearing without specs is funny!
and u fast on one day of every week:o! gosh i can't imagine doing that ever!
shall reply to this post soon... been a bit busy with some things;)

Sur said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sur said...

@desh
thanks, the bhutta post is one of my favs too!
ya, I second ur opinion, fast-food is yummy!
he he, u too a train lover, great!

@SA
thanks!
I am yet to find sm2 who associates with the dysfunctional hearing quirk though, may be I am only one on the face of earth, with the quirk! :D
And may I ask what those 'some things' are? ;)

Pingu said...

I love reading, but since past one year I have started buying books like never before. The heap of unread books in my room seems to increase by the day. I have resolved in vain to finish all the old books before buying new ones. But every time I see a good book, I am tempted and end up buying it, hoping to finish it sometime.

There...U've just described what I've been doing for the past 2 years..! :(

But now atleast I'm getting back to reading like I used to before I became a s/w majdoor...

Nice blog! Will be back to read the archives...

P.S : Liked the deutsch title - the usage of guten with tag :)

Sur said...

@pingu
a 2 yr backlog! gosh! good tht atleast u r catching up, my situation is totally hopeless! :(
Thanks and keep visiting!
I was hoping for someone to comment on the title, thankfully u did. :)