Friday, July 13, 2007

Souls Talk

Here is the conversation that took place between two souls, they have just lost their lives and don’t know what awaits them. An invisible barrier confines them in the place they are; bored of waiting they start telepathing.

A: Hi, So what do you think? What is going to happen next?
B (sighs): Salvation! That elusive end, seems so far.
A (approvingly): Same here have learnt a few lessons from my past life, but still a long way to go.
B: Which form? I was a human in my last birth, a male by the name Ismail; I especially liked my face, not handsome in the conventional sense but distinctly charming. I wish I could have lived longer with that face, I wish we could carry pics, would have shown it to you. (Smiling at his own imagination.)
A: (laughing) You have to let go of such futilities buddy that was just a mask. We will be what we are, just a blob of light.
B: I would have nodded my head if I had one. (Both laugh at this joke.) So what about you, human in last birth?
A: Yeah, a male as you, was named Sharan, got killed in the communal violence in Ahmedabed recently. But I guess I deserved it, I was very hotheaded that day.
B:Oh! You were there too; we would’ve met then! I too got killed there, what a waste but, now when I come to think of it.
A: Let’s do this, I would try picturing my face in past life, you too do the same. Probably, then we would recall seeing each other.
B: Great! Hope it works!

An awkward sadness engulfs them as they both find themselves staring at their murderer; they feel an intense hatred towards each other, and as they are reading each other’s thoughts a hatred towards their own selves. They are the chaser and the chased at the same time the killer and the killed, they feel the agony of getting stabbed, the anguish of gulping their last breaths, the helplessness on seeing their precious lives fading, not once but twice now. The unbearable pain leaves them both tongue-tied (Not literally, but you know what I mean) they don’t want to feel the hatred and pain any more and let go of their thoughts, they both stop thinking. Silence pervades the scene for sometime before A breaks it

A: I am sorry mate; I don’t even remember why I killed you, mob mentality I guess, I might’ve even enjoyed killing you, but how it pains me now!
B: I am sorry too, was captivated by an extreme rage couldn’t even think at that time, but that is no justification for what I did, it’s just a lesson learnt.
A: Yeah, lesson learnt it is, no coincidence this, that we are here together, strange are the ways of God.
B: Stranger even are the ways of humans.

Suddenly the barrier disappears and they have to stop their conversation midway as they both start flying to their respective destinations.

B: Nice meeting you friend! Hope to see you soon.
A: Same Here, Good Luck. (Gives B a thumbs-up, which B returns.)

6 comments:

desh said...

nice one sur, Ahmedabad riots is smthng which was quite all around us when we were in ahmedabad, i mean we reached thr after it but the horrors wr still thr, we have had long never ending debates on mob-mentality and how it leads to killing, I have never ever been able to understand someone killin someone...
fights based on religion, on caste, these thngs put u off...
one thng was nice too note though, sharan and ismail were at peace after they died, hope they really have a good time


best line: Stranger even are the ways of humans.

Unknown said...

Hey its simply fantastic u think on far more topics i had imagined of,great.

nice ending n a distinct vision.

hope all goes this way in human life too.

Sur said...

@desh
Thanks.
even I can nvr understand how ppl can kill each other and even live with it.
Discriminating on the basis of religion is smthing I have always felt deeply for and thats why this post. Seemingly innocent ppl like Sharan and Ismail fall prey to the dirty tactics and commit horrendous crimes, hope that this stops.
my fav line too! :)

@parul
We can't be left untouched by what happens around us, can we?
Thanks, I always feel that miracles happen! :)

Smartalec said...

wow! amazing post, sur! loved it!
heard so much of the ahmedabad riots and gory tales related to them, and even felt the tension in the air when i stayed in gujarat...
sentiments have been brought out so well in this post of urs. when, o when, shall we humans stop realizing the value of things, life being one of them, before it is too late?

Sur said...

@SA
hey, thanks stevie! ya, we humans do have a knack of misplacing our priorities! And while writing this post, I just hoped tht atleast in afterlife all was well.

Muthu said...

very thought provoking post. This world will be lot better if people think on their own feet rather than follow the mob...